Our Journey Through Parenting

The joys of having two boys.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

6-Month Checkup

Yesterday was Leon's 6-month checkup. He did so much better with his shots this time! He weighed 14lbs 7 oz at the hospital when they admitted him and yesterday he weighed 15lbs 8 oz so he's gained a pound in 2 weeks, which doesn't surprise me since he's been eating since then. He is 26 1/2 inches long and his head circumference is 17 1/2 inches. That's a pretty good size head if you ask me. I know their head is suppose to grow pretty quickly though so it's ok I guess.

The doctor said his ears look good and his weight gain is excellent. I've been feeling that he's been eating like a pig lately too, but she has assured me that he's eating fine. I told her what he eats and how often and she said it's normal. He can start stage 2 foods whenever I feel he's ready. She said at 9 months, she typically tells parents to introduce stage 3 and some meats into their diet. So, here in another month I'm sure we'll start on stage 2's. He's very well adapted to stage 1's now. The only thing we have left to try are peaches. He wasn't really fond of those a week ago, so I decided to come back to those after doing the bananas and pears. We'll see if he does better with those in a few days I guess:) He is eating baby food at daycare now insted of just cereal so that's a good step for him. He gets a bigger variety of flavor anyway. He still has his cough. The doctor said that it is just starting to get into his chest some so she put him back on the Respi Tann PD that he was on before. It's only been 24 hours so I know it's still taking some time to work. Hopefully he's breathing better by this weekend. You can just tell that he is congested when he breathes. I've been using the outlet plugs and they do work wonders. I gave him a bath in the vapor bath tonight to see if that helps clear him out some as well as putting the baby Vicks on his chest. The nurse told me to use it and I've been using it so it should help him. Granted, it would help more if I used it EVERY night...but I tend to forget unless it's bath night for some reason. As long as he gets better I don't really care what happens though. I know it's just a matter of a couple more doses of the medicine and he'll be fine though.

I told the nurse and the doctor that I wasn't happy with the other nurse. The nurse I do like told me that they have had some other people complain about the other nurse. The doctor apologized for what happened but said that one day their ears can be fine and the next they are in horrible shape, but she did look at everything that the hospital had faxed over. I had originally thought about switching doctors, but now I'm leaning more towards staying with the same doctor as long as I can talk to the nurse I like. She gave me her number and extention at the office if I have any questions along with her cell phone if I don't want to call the after hours number. She also said that if I needed to call her in the middle of the night to call. I won't do that to her though. She has two younger kids herself. She even offered to come over on a weekend if I needed her to look at him for some reason. Apparently we live VERY close to each other. So, needless to say, I do like the doctor, just not the nurse, so I'm planning on staying where we are for right now. I don't feel that the doctor has done anything wrong...but I'm not really fond of some of the staff...which doesn't always make the doctor look good.

Leon will have another appointment in 3 months. Can't wait to see how much he's grown by then!!

He is rolling ALL OVER the place as well as learning to sit up a little straighter. It goes day by day...eventually he'll get it. For those of you who have kids, if you remember, how old were they when they started to sit up on their own? I'm just curious. He's doing very well in my opinion, but I'm just curious. Now, it's time to spend a little time with my husband. Oh yes...he is quitting his second job as well. His last day is May 4th...what an excellent birthday present for him!!!!! More time with the family!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home