Our Journey Through Parenting

The joys of having two boys.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

We are Home!!

I've been a little slow updating, but Noah did get out of the hospital on Tuesday evening. The first day was rough but since then it's gotten better and better everyday.

The first day was bad because I actually followed the "doctor's orders" for feedings. He's suppose to eat every 3 hours around the clock. The first night I set my alarm every 3 hours to get up to feed him. That means, I only got maybe 2 hours of sleep at a time. By the time I get him up, change his diaper, feed him, give the tube time to allow him to burp, and get back to sleep it took about an hour every single time. So...mom was TIRED and cranky all day long! Leon got yelled at a lot for stupid little stuff that I normally probably wouldn't yell at him for. He got into stuff he knows he shouldn't be getting into and the typical 3 year old stuff I guess. Mainly...I think it was bad cause i was so tired. He went to the doctor Wednesday. He weighed in at 9 lbs 12 oz and they said he was 21 inches long. (That would be almost a 2 inch growth since birth though)

Thursday, the home healthcare nurse came out and he weighed 9 lbs 14oz. Wednesday night I decided I wasn't getting up every 3 hours, he would just wake us up when he was ready to eat. This works out TONS better for everyone. He gets up about once in the middle of the night. We usually stay up until 11-ish for his last feeding and then he'll get up usually about 4-5 hours after that and then he'll sleep another 4-5 hours before getting up, unless Leon wakes up us first. He eats 80ml's this week which is almost 3 oz. (30ml=1 oz) Each week we are suppose to increase it by 5ml's. He gets one bottle a day with 5ml's just to keep him use to knowing what to do with it and help him try to get the hang of eating since he's not. The first day he wasn't really awake enough to eat so I didn't really try it. Thursday and Friday he was awake but really didn't want it. Last night he was wide awake and sucked down the entire thing in about 30 seconds flat with absolutely no problems. At his next feeding he was also wide awake so we tried another 5ml's (I know...against dr's orders again) and he ate all of it, but it took him longer. That time he did finally burp really well. So, maybe he's starting to get the hang of that a little better too. It's just him not knowing what to do and understanding the suck, swallow, breath thing. Usually he gets the bottle in the evenings. He's been sleeping most of the day...actually, almost all day long but then he still sleeps all night long too. If he doesn't "sleep" he is quiet and we don't realize he's awake anyway. He really is a good baby for the most part. Leon tries to put the pacifier in his mouth every time it falls out whether he wants it in or not. He tries to steel the stethoscope all the time. I have to push air into his belly to listen for a certain sound before each feeding to make sure his tube is in his belly and not somewhere it shouldn't be like his lungs. Leon tries to help a lot and I appreciate it, but sometimes he still needs to be reminded he is a baby and a lot more fragile than Leon wants to be at times. So far having 2 kids isn't as stressful as I thought it may be the first day. I'm happy about that obviously. Things are going very well at home though.

Yesterday we got family pictures taken. I left his tube in because he should have ate while we were there and I didn't want to do anything drastic like put it back in while we were there...so even though he looks funny with it in and the tape on his face, I wasn't in the mood to fight with him to put it back in. He took it out on Thursday night anyway and it only has to be taken out once a week to be cleaned, so I figured that it wasn't too urgent to get it out. He had his first home bath on Thursday too. I didn't get pictures because Skip was dealing with Leon, but I will get some the next time I give him one which will probably be tonight. I'll make sure I have the camera in hand! I'll upload the pictures and post them separate from yesterday because there were quite a few good ones. I'll update more as there is more to post...I do have quite a few pictures to upload from the camera too, so when I get those done, I'll have them posted as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home